5th Grade – SCIENCE – Rivers & Climate
Dear 5th graders,
We made it! Finally, we have reached the last unit of the term: rivers. That is why I ask you to make a last effort. Yes! It is worth trying.
First of all, I would like that you had a look at the fantastic drawing that Claudia has done for the occasion. She is a great artist and an excellent student. Click on the image to see a bigger view.
Click here to see the conceptual map that I have made. You will need to have installed Java runtime environment in your computer. In case you don’t have it yet, you can download Java from here. In case you want to download a printed version of the map click here.
Some interesting websites:
· http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/riversandcoasts/rivers/whatis_river/index.shtml (What is a river? A beautiful website by the BBC)
· http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/riversandcoasts/rivers/people_river/index.shtml (People and rivers. A slideshow on how people and rivers interact)
· http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/riverthames/ (A pictorial guide to The River Thames in England from source to sea. Cool!)
· http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/Homework/egypt/nile.htm (Facts about the river Nile for Kids)
· http://www.nationalgeographic.com/geography-action/rivers.html (Discover connections between people and rivers)
Next pages are written in Spanish but I have decided to include them because they are very useful for studying the names of the Spanish rivers:
· http://www.xtec.net/~ealonso/flash/esparios1eb.html (Rivers of Spain 1)
· http://www.xtec.net/~ealonso/flash/esparios2eb.html (Rivers of Spain 2)
By the way, have you noticed that many of our rivers’ names begin by “gua“? “Gua” means river in Arabic.
I have also found some videos:
A NASA video explaining the difference between weather and climate.
Climate change could do more than just melt polar ice…
An amazing video about the Hoover Dam:
Beautiful images from Snowdonia National Park:
OK, we are dealing with rivers, so let me include this one by the greatest songwriter in history… 😀
I hope you will find everything interesting. Let me know what you think
So say we all!!