Beam me up, Scotty
Take a look at the incredible light bulb we made today in Science class with my sixth graders:
All we needed to light up our day was:
- Eight D-sized batteries
- Mechanical pencil refills
- Two sets of small alligator clips
- A clear glass
- Electrical tape
- Toilet paper tube
And this is how we did it:
- We used the electrical tape to secure all of the batteries together in a series.
- We used the electrical tape to secure the alligator clips to the sides of the toilet paper roll.
- We placed a piece of pencil lead between the alligator clips at the top of the toilet paper roll.
- We placed a glass over the toilet paper roll, alligator clips and pencil lead.
- Finally, we closed the circuit by touching the alligator clips on the other ends of the wires to the ends of the roll of batteries.
Afterwards, we carried out some exciting electric experiments to explore the basic principles of electricity. Here you can see some pictures:
It was really cool!
So say we all!!